Cyclones disengage entrained dust from a carrying gas stream. Often called cyclone collectors, multi-cyclones, cyclonic separators and cyclonic dust collectors. Cyclone collectors are used for product recovery of dry dusts and powders and as primary collectors on high dust loading air pollution control applications.
1. Direct or indirect fired rotary dryers often use cyclone collectors to capture the entrained dust prior to a secondary collector.
2. Wood waste or bagasse (sugar cane) boilers where light entrained ash can be collected in suitably designed cyclones.
3. One of the most common uses of cyclones is to protect fans from abrasive dusts.
4. It used to collect trim from paper machines.
5. Other uses are sawdust collection, separation of air entrained product from pneumatic conveying systems, primary separation in vacuum cleaning systems, fiber separation, and similar applications where the particulate is heavy enough to be influenced by centrifugal forces.